Where Did George Bernard Shaw Live And Drink

manxchatterbox

Arnold Bennett included the Isle of Man in many of his books - Anna of Five Towns has a chapter set in Port Erin, there's a wonderful short story called Under the Clock in which the Island features. I guess he must have been a visitor to the Island.

John Betjamin was a regular visitor, and described the Island as a microcosm of Western Civilization "all human life is there".

Hall Caine lived on the Island, and wrote The Manxman and The Deemster, amongst others about the Island. Although his star has set now he was a major author around the turn of the 20th centuary.

In Jasper Fforde's Something Rotten, Laxey is the headquarters Goliath Corporation, an evil multinational with supra-govermental powers and asperations to become a consumer driven religious entity. The Island's 200,000 residents do nothing "but support, or support the support of the one enterprise that dominated the small island" so no change there. Although Manxchatterbox and Sir Dick will be pleased to know Douglas Sea Terminal is connected to New York by gravitube. Renamed Goliathopolis, Laxey is the Hong Kong of the British Isles - "a forrest of glassy towers stretching up the hillside to Snaefell". So visitors drawn to the Island by this book might be disappointed to find an electric railway and a waterwheel.

Well, well, I'm reading a Jasper Fforde book at the moment, ( at a snail's pace) so I will look out for the IOM connections!

Not mentioned yet but I thought that it might be of interest: While the Light Lasts is a selection of short stories by Agatha Christie. One of those short stories is called Manx Gold.

Most interesting of all is a story called Manx Gold, commissioned from Christie for a real-life treasure hunt on the Isle of Man in 1930. It was the first event of its kind in the world, and holidaymakers had to solve clues in the story to locate four genuine miniature treasure chests planted on the island. Though a quarter of a million booklets containing the story were printed, only one original copy is known to have survived.

I actually managed to track down this reprinted version and I now have a copy of it.

Link: Christie News

light.jpg

Stav.

The Well of Lost Plots. A bit like here really!

That's the third in the quadology (or whatever a trilogy with four books called) the Island crops up in the fourth.

Aaaargh....manxchatterbox is the mispelling vyrus....

Archived