Is Douglas The Right Venue For A Monthly Farmer's Market..

manxchatterbox

All for local produce and all that, but what exactly would a farmer's market sell? Beyond eggs, the mundane root veg and calibrese (skinny broccoli), what else is grown here that would supply a market other than a few times a year? Nice idea, but I can see it ending up as a few sad stalls selling very little.

Sorry to pour cold water on the idea, but I don't think it is a goer!

You are spot on with that but the hope would be that with a local market for the produce and cutting out the middle man, ie robinsons, the farmers could diversify and get off the lamb/dairy teat.

Look how Ballacraine farm has diversified, an example for them all. I would rather help him, help himself than throw public money at lamb overproduced that nobody wants.

But Ballacraine, forgive me if I am wrong, started as a dairy farm with deliveries. It now has quads, aromatherapy and a good Xmas light display! It's hardly something that can be taken to market on a monthly basis, is it? Diversification is good (up and down the supply chain, and laterally finding new ways of exploiting what you have) but a farmers' market really isn't the answer.

I fully agree that (that particular) middle man should be cut out because they just seem to be able to only deliver really shite produce under the banner that we are Manx so it must be good! BTW, the produce I am talking about is mainly the imported fresh(ish) goods!

If the farmers' market would sell off some of the lamb no one wants, I would be the first there!

but a farmers' market really isn't the answer.

Id have thought the farmers themselves would have jumped on the idea if it had any business merit. After all

their marketing society owns a fairly large premises just outside Douglas opposite the Polar car wash !

reasons why there is no farmers market:-

they and their families are all too well off / can't organize it / don't know how to / can't be bothered / would fail if they did / haven't the backbone to start it up / wouldn't know where to / aren't financially competent / couldn't sell milk to cows or vegetables to slugs....are doomed to failure / shouldn't be given taxpayers money as handouts...

All for local produce and all that, but what exactly would a farmer's market sell? Beyond eggs, the mundane root veg and calibrese (skinny broccoli), what else is grown here that would supply a market other than a few times a year? Nice idea, but I can see it ending up as a few sad stalls selling very little.

Sorry to pour cold water on the idea, but I don't think it is a goer!

Try Bri's stall on ramsey quay for local produce or the organic "thursdays" market just outside peel, and you'll see that you're selling local veg short with your comments.

It'd be nice to have one in douglas. The guy in market hall has some local produce, but I find the quality a bit variable.

reasons why there is no farmers market:-

they and their families are all too well off / can't organize it / don't know how to / can't be bothered / would fail if they did / haven't the backbone to start it up / wouldn't know where to / aren't financially competent / couldn't sell milk to cows or vegetables to slugs....are doomed to failure / shouldn't be given taxpayers money as handouts...

Ditto!

Why take a chance in a free market economy when you can be living off handouts.

The Thursday market on the St Johns 'back' road to Peel?? Hmmm, went there a couple of weeks ago.....most disappointed there were 3 carrots, if that!

You cannot buy mushrooms from the mushroom farm due to Robinsons monopoly on mushroom buying. However, many other farms sell their produce, its just a case of finding them.

A farmers market would be a great idea, I loathe buying Tescos 'frozen' fresh carrots.

I'd like to know why a supposed Manxman always refers to any distance in kilometres!

Because kilometres, like celcius, kilograms and litres makes a lot more sense than yards/miles, fahrenheit, pounds and pints/gallons. Kids at schools today are taught in metres and kilometres it's just the older generation who prefer to use an antiquated system which is non-decimal and confusing for the rest of the world. Much easier to remember that 1000 metres = 1km than remembering how ever many yards are in a mile.

Archived