Computer Shops

pogo

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't impressed by PC Solutions. They charged a friend of mine to check out a router she bought on eBay and gave it the all clear, but when she came to use it, the LAN ports didn't work!!

When I went to ask for an explanation they tried to persuade me that there's no way a computer can automatically pick up an IP address from the router. Then I told them it was called DHCP and he told me "Ah, I tried it at home but it doesn't really work!!"

People like that give techies a bad name!

:) I have noticed some DG834 series not dishing out DHCP or DNS settings.

Sad tale though Owen, I'm afraid people that have no idea believe these people. The fact the helpful dude from Waltons is a doorman at the Office is kinda worrying and funny at the same time.

Wasn't impressed by PC Solutions. They charged a friend of mine to check out a router she bought on eBay and gave it the all clear, but when she came to use it, the LAN ports didn't work!!

You're lucky they even bothered to look at it since she got it from EBAY.

If it don't work tough luck I say, should have bought it from somewhere with some returns policy.

I think it's called a learning experience....

You're lucky they even bothered to look at it since she got it from EBAY.

If it don't work tough luck I say, should have bought it from somewhere with some returns policy.

I think it's called a learning experience....

Agreed, the stuff you buy from eBay can be dodgy at times. What pissed me off what that they charged her good money to "check if it works OK", and gave it the all clear without giving it a thorough test.

Oh, that and trying to bluff their way out of it. I particularly liked the "I'm sure our techie tested it; he showed me the IP address that was cached on his screen" ?!?!?!

<rant>

Anyway, the crux of the matter is that retailers on the Island should be doing more than just shifting boxes. They are there to provide a service to the customer and should do a good job of it. If a customer is unhappy for whatever reason, they should take steps to address what the customer perceives as a failure; rather than slamming the door in their face and clinging for dear life to any vestige of profit they may have made on the transaction. The real truth is that my friend was very upset about the transaction and will not be using their services again; and in the long run, that was no gain for them.

</rant>

I don't agree, I don't see why a local dealer should even need to look at a product that could have been bought from them.

If you buy it from a shop in the UK then the shop in the UK should honour it, however in most cases dealers will look at the product which is providing a service in my book.

If people buy all their products off the likes of EBAY, then the local businesses would go bust and then you'd still have no where to get it fixed.

I don't agree, I don't see why a local dealer should even need to look at a product that could have been bought from them.

I suppose we have to agree to disagree on this one.

If I understand you correctly, you're implying that if I buy a product, I should only be able to get support from the retail outlet who sold it to me. Other retailers shouldn't provide me with support but refer me to the original retailer. My personal belief is that I should have the freedom of choice to purchase from wherever I want, and get support from whoever is ready to provide me with it (at a fair price of course).

Granted: if I buy something off a dodgy website without knowing what I'm on about, I'm at the support provider's mercy, but I still think whoever I pay to support me has the obligation of providing a decent service. Otherwise I would expect them to refuse on the grounds that they don't have the requisite skills to figure out if an ADSL router works or not.

No all I'm saying is that for the retailer to service is product that hasn't been sold by them, then it is at their discretion whether or not they choose to service that product.

In your case I think that once the dealer has accepted to service the goods then it becomes the dealers responsibility to provide a good service.

This is why it can often be wiser to not take on the service work in the first place, unless they're fully confident that they can provide the required level of service.

So in fact I think I've contradicted myself as I do agree that they should have serviced it correctly but I was coming at it from the "they didn't provide it" point of view but by accepting the work then they're accepting the responsibility.

Bugger it, it's one of those days :lol:

Yeah .. it has been one of those days!

Sorry for being so pedantic, but retail is one of my passions (though I'm not working in retail at the moment)

If I had been the retailer, I would have offered an apology and heck, a £5 voucher off her next purchase or something. He still would have made something off the transaction (any contribution to cover fixed costs is welcome), and she would have been pleased and maybe even bought a new router off him B)

[rant]

you wouldn't believe how much time and effort is wasted dealing with people who go into shops asking technical questions and looking for advice and leave without spending a penny, yet the shopkeeper has to pay highly qualified staff, pay rates, rent, insurance, light, heat and all the rest of the overheads just for the pleasure of dealing with said visitor (sometimes just to get out of the rain).

Those who do leave something for repair often aren't prepared to pay the cost of a round of drinks for time and effort spent on their beloved item. It's a 'skip' culture these days, things just aren't made to be fixed any more. Trading standards is also distinctly one-way, nobody protects the shopkeeper from being on the wrong end of a deal (even if something is stolen there is little likelyhood of getting redress or return of the item stolen even with proof and video evidence).

It's no wonder there are so few 'service' shops around, apart from finding suitable staff who aren't just sitting in office jobs on huge salaries and bonuses twiddling numbers all day.

[/rant]

Archived