Rush Out To Buy Your Reduced Rate Vat Home Improvement Materials

manxchatterbox

can't find a thread on this and haven't heard it on the radio but think this means an end to the reduced rate...

from the FT:-

EU deadlocked over VAT rules

By George Parker and Chris Smyth in Brussels

Published: January 24 2006 20:10 | Last updated: January 24 2006 20:10

The European Union’s sales tax system was thrown into chaos on Tuesday night when three new EU members blocked a deal letting countries apply lower VAT rates to building work and other services.

Unless Poland, the Czech Republic and Cyprus lift their veto by the end of the week, the European Commission says it will take legal action against any country which continues to apply the reduced rates.

That could mean that the cost of home repairs, domestic care and even a haircut will rise sharply in some countries from the weekend, because of the legal uncertainty.

full text link:-http://news.ft.com/cms/s/813d749a-8d14-11da-9daf-0000779e2340.html

I heard about it in September. Just about anyone you go to who provides any sort of home improvement service (kitchens, bathrooms etc etc) tells you about it - especially if like me you were thinking of waiting a while before having some work done. I got my bathroom floor done before the end of the year for this very reason.

It was actually due to expire on the 31st December '05 but was extended for one month afaik.

As long as the 5% invoice is dated before 31 Jan I think you'd be OK

In our case we have to supply and fit the items for the 5% rate to apply. If it's supply only then the rate is 17.5%

If you're VAT registered and can claim VAT back then it probably doesn't matter too much if it's at 5% or 17.5%

the manx radio station website currently says:-

"It's likely the reduced rate of VAT for home improvements will be extended, for another five years.

Although not formally confirmed, a statement from the latest meeting of European Finance Ministers says that "pending confirmation from the Czech Republic, Poland and Cyprus by the end of the week, the validity shall be extended from the first of January until December, 31, 2010".

The Manx Treasury and Customs say they are monitoring the position.

It's been stressed the move does not affect the 5% rate of VAT on holiday accommodation here, certain supplies of energy or other items under the heading "Construction Services".

...yet the Financial Times which is known as the most respected puveyor of factual information and which doesn't use conjecture to stimulate interest says:-

Poland poised to veto deal on EU sales tax cuts

By George Parker in Brussels

Published: January 31 2006 02:00 | Last updated: January 31 2006 02:00

Poland was last night heading for a political clash with the rest of the European Union after signalling it would veto an agreement on an EU-wide regime for reduced rates of sales tax.

The veto would throw into confusion Europe's value added tax system for certain services, and confirm that Poland's centre-right government is prepared to take on the rest of the EU to defend its national interest.

Last night the Polish finance ministry said it retained its "negative position" towards a deal agreed by the 24 other member states to allow certain services to be subject to lower rates of VAT.

the rest of the article is at:- http://news.ft.com/cms/s/811eb30e-91fe-11d...00779e2340.html

which report do you believe is the moswt up to date?

What's the problem? The matter is out of the IOM's hands anyway!

I have just paid the first instalment on some building works with 5% VAT and would expect that the next instalments will carry the same rate as I contracted for the works during January.

As I understand it, the reduced rate applies to the total work being carried out (therefore, the suppliers need to supply the contractors who will carry out the work) not just to the supplies. So supplies I buy would not be eligible to the 5% VAT rate, but they would if bought by the builder and then supplied as part of their contract.

So no need to go out and corner the market in soffits!

What's the problem?

We send estimates out on a daily basis. Should they be at 5% or 17.5%? That's a problem for me at the moment

I have just paid the first instalment on some building works with 5% VAT and would expect that the next instalments will carry the same rate as I contracted for the works during January.

My understanding is that it depends on invoice dates or payment dates. I haven't heard contract dates mentioned.

For example, advice that we were given and passed onto our customers said that to definately qualify for the 5% VAT rate -

i) A VAT invoice is issued to the customer for the full amount of the work before 31st January 2006

ii) The work is completed in full before 31st January 2006 and the invoice is issued before 14th February 2006

iii) Payment is received in full before 31st January 2006

It's 1st Feb today, what happens now?

I've been keeping the recipts for all the materials used in the building of my house, when the work is finished I can submit them and will get the over paid amount of vat back. I did ring to check this was ok a month or so agoand was told that its fine the only thing is you can only submit one claim.

Archived