Tynwald "farce"

Lonan3

From Manx Radio:

In a debate, which contained elements of farce, the House of Keys has voted to ditch the constitution Bill at the first hurdle.

The long running House of Keys effort to ensure a 32 member elected Tynwald, collapsed when MHK’s could not accept the alternative proposals from the upper chamber.

After rejecting the keys bill, the Legislative Council sent back their own proposals for a publicly elected LEGCO - but wanted it separate from the House of Keys election.

This left elected members with the dilemma of supporting the council proposals or rejecting them.

Health Minister, Steve Rodan, believes it was a farce:

So the attempt to turn our island into a genuine democracy has failed, and it's entirely due to the members of LEGCO who desperately want to protect their own privileged positions without having to depend on the approval or otherwise of the public.

The original proposal was, I believe, for an elected 32-member Tynwald consisting of sixteen 2-member constituencies - from which 8 members would be selected for the 'revising' chamber. It was an excellent proposal which has been altered, adjusted, rearranged and now, finally, dumped!

It is a disgrace!

Welcome to manx politics, if it aint broke fix it until it is. :angry:

Nice to know the present *Keys" are keeping their retirement home.

Anything that come out of Mr Bush's mouth take with a pinch of salt.

I must admit he is funniest American president since Ronnie Regan.

I think that the MLC's know that if it is a public vote they would lose their there seat's.

They want to delay it until the after the next election, so they can get a bit more money in the bank account.

MLC = Manx Leech Council

It wasn't like that

All the Members want a fully elected Tynwald, its just that to some this idea of two seperate elections was unacceptable and to some it was fine.

The two sides of the argument are on my website under the "investigates" tab

You should read them before you judge the MHKs to want to keep their retirement home.

It wasn't like that

All the Members want a fully elected Tynwald, its just that to some this idea of two seperate elections was unacceptable and to some it was fine.

The two sides of the argument are on my website under the "investigates" tab

You should read them before you judge the MHKs to want to keep their retirement home.

Thank you for that. But the original proposal that Steve Rodan talked about had already been amended and altered into something much less workable before it was sent to the LEGCO.

However, it was undoubtedly LEGCO's interference that took the ridiculous idea of introducing genuine democracy into the island and placed it neatly in a coffin. In the end, they left the Keys with no alternative but to tap the nails in.

Rimington's comments would surprise me - if they were made by anyone with a grain of intelligence.

I think that the MLC's know that if it is a public vote they would lose their there seat's.

I would like to see an all elected Parliament too.

Maybe you are a little wide of the mark by claiming they would all lose their tenure though.

Dominic Delaney seems to have proved it doesnt have to be the case.

I suspect Eddie Lowey would do rather well too.

Archived