Tynwald Smaller Than A Council

lisner

In a Manx Radio interview with DoLGE Minister John Rimington MHK regarding our waste policies it was suggested that the Island could cut down on the amount of rubbish that has to be got rid of.

The reply was:

"Well that’s very true but a small government, smaller than a council cannot dictate big commercial policies like that - it really needs to be done at sort of European or UK Government level. "

(Short) clip is here:

20060124_Waste___J_Rimington_Interview___Extract.mp3

The Minister had earlier enthused that Tynwald was “The Highest Court in the Land”. Hmmm, not much use though is it, if we can’t even work out how to stop the huge amounts of 'waste' material coming onto this Island in the first place.

When it comes to real world matters, this Government of ours can be pretty toothless and seems to pander to the rich, rich, businesses.

But in any case, as far as waste management is concerned - I admit this is an increasingly tough problem - we need someone with a bit more guts and innovation.

Jeez, they were even talking about getting a bigger better super incinerator for the future.

For the sake of completeness the full interview can be found at Manx RAdio Mandate - Tuesday Morning part II and starts 10:10 minutes in to the programme

Well go to any local council in the UK and they all have recycle schemes set up, and i think the figures are something like 75% of all rubbish can be reused.

What is sad that the isle of man has to have all this hassle when a single government body should be set up to deal with all waste.

This way you have an expert body in charge of all areas and thats all they do, we should be able to easily copy the UK system its not brain surgery.

The Minister had earlier enthused that Tynwald was “The Highest Court in the Land”. Hmmm, not much use though is it, if we can’t even work out how to stop the huge amounts of 'waste' material coming onto this Island in the first place.

It may be small in size but the powers it has are almost the same as for most countries.

Hey guys I think you need to take a reality check here.

First off the Manx Government has nothing approaching the powers as the Governments of most countries.

Secondly, it just isnt possible for the Manx Government to dictate how supermarkets etc package the items they sell.

I doubt very much it would be possible for the UK Government to act unilaterally on that type of dictate either.

John Rimington, for all his faults, is probably correct in his assertion that dictates of that type would likely have to be made by the EU.

Of course if you feel strongly about the amount of packaging on supermarket food the answer is entirely in your own hands. Dont buy it and good luck with finding an alternative supply.

I can only imagine the Manx Radio journalist was putting this to JR tongue in cheek. Surely journalistic standards arent that poor at the station ?

I'm sure plenty of complaints would ensue if all deliveries of food to the Isle of Man had to be stripped of all non-biodegradable packaging before arrival on Island and plastic carrier bags were banned - all at the consumers expense of course.

Councils in the UK have been dictated to by the EU about recycling quotas. It doesn't matter if they have to send it from John O' Groats to Land's End in a CO2 belching truck, as long as the quotas are met.

Waste disposal companies get grants/tax credits (I forget which, but it's money all the same!) for recycling waste.

This is why it is difficult for the IOM to send ours to the UK for recycling. They are reluctant to take ours for 2 reasons: 1. as we are non EU they wouldn't get the credits. 2. As we are non EU it counts as 'importation' of waste which opens up a whole can of expensive and difficult worms.

Archived