Ballamodha Straight Accident

Cholmondley-Warner

I'm on dial up so I never watch videos but I think I can imagine what might happen to a Coke can like a Smart car.

The front part collapses, drivers door (left hand side in this case) can be opened but doesn't shut properly, passenger door still opens and closes properly. Tiff Needell comments that the "cage" (the tridion) has done it's job

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sympathies to the family :(

Fact is though, if he has no license/insurance I don't think he'd be too concerned about speeding..

I could not agree more. Speed is only one of the ingredients in a recipe for disaster. On this occasion, all the ingredients were there only the severity of the accident was worsened by the high speed involved.

If he were not travelling at such a high speed, the accident might not have happened. However if he had not taken the vehicle on the road in the first place the accident could not have happened.

to lighten this post - I can thoroughly recommend the Smart I happily travel on UK motorways at 72mph (unless you have the software altered it is speed limited to around 80mph) - usually get just under 60m/gallon (nearer 52 on Island due to short journies and my 'lead feet'), did 2000 miles on a trip to Orkney at just over 60mpg - it also feels quite safe, holds the road very well and comes out well in all official tests (often to people's surprise who think it is a toy car)

(unless you have the software altered it is speed limited to around 80mph)

I had a steady 85mph showing on the speedo on the straight into Peel.

It must have surprised the bloke behind, me who was all over my rear bumper driving through St Johns :D

It must have surprised the bloke behind, me who was all over my rear bumper driving through St Johns :D

Shame that the crap gearbox ruins a half-decent little car :(

So we'll soon see you in the Manx Darwin awards for 2006 then :blink: ? I assume you saw the SMART on Top Gear?

Very good in snow as it happens - if you get decent winter tyres.

So we'll soon see you in the Manx Darwin awards for 2006 then :blink: ? I assume you saw the SMART on Top Gear?

No, it was a good few years ago now. The road was totally empty apart form that bloke, now a few hundred yards behind me. It was surprisingly steady at 85, mor so than some other cars that I've driven

Yes, they are good in snow, even with standard tyres. Apart from any 4x4 I've driven, the Smart was the best car I've had in the snow. I presume the engine sitting right over the driver rear wheels andall of the traction control bits it has makes it easier to get going in snow, although steering and stopping are much the same

True, but not all crashes are head on.

Anyway, here's a video of a Smart crashing into a concrete wall at 70mph

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6605730767077503480

Survivable?

What if it was into another vehicle coming the other way at 70mph?

I'am really surprised at just how safe it looked, I thought it would act as a coke can aswell!

If another car was travelling the other way, Surely the smart would be better off, afterall on that video it shows that smart car hitting a concrete wall a 70mph, If it was another car, the other car would of absorbed the impact and the smart car driver would be ok.

No, it was a good few years ago now. The road was totally empty apart form that bloke, now a few hundred yards behind me. It was surprisingly steady at 85, mor so than some other cars that I've driven

Yes, they are good in snow, even with standard tyres. Apart from any 4x4 I've driven, the Smart was the best car I've had in the snow. I presume the engine sitting right over the driver rear wheels andall of the traction control bits it has makes it easier to get going in snow, although steering and stopping are much the same

The light weight and engine position is the trick. Put decent winter tyres on it and it's most impressive. Shame MB is losing lots of money with the SMART range of cars.

I'am really surprised at just how safe it looked, I thought it would act as a coke can aswell!

If another car was travelling the other way, Surely the smart would be better off, afterall on that video it shows that smart car hitting a concrete wall a 70mph, If it was another car, the other car would of absorbed the impact and the smart car driver would be ok.

I saw one video of a Smart and a Mercedes in a slightly offset head on collision (if that makes sense - both cars drove straight into each other but the were offset sideways by half the width of the car) and although the Merc seemed to suffer a lot of front end damage the Smart bounced back. I think being in the Merc would be a lot safer as the damage would have absorbed some of the impact. I'd hate to think what would happen to a person inside the car bouncing backwards

I saw one video of a Smart and a Mercedes in a slightly offset head on collision (if that makes sense - both cars drove straight into each other but the were offset sideways by half the width of the car) and although the Merc seemed to suffer a lot of front end damage the Smart bounced back. I think being in the Merc would be a lot safer as the damage would have absorbed some of the impact. I'd hate to think what would happen to a person inside the car bouncing backwards

Yep - seen that as well. Here's a link to the clip (25MB avi file, though..) and some pics from it are on this site.

The Smart is a surprisingly though little car, and shows how much safety even a tiny vehicle can provide these days - another example on how strong it is: Smart v Fiat

It is amazing how far we have come in terms of vehicle safety over the years - on thing that struck me, though, is the usual argument that "two cars colliding at 50mph equals a 100mph crash" - technically, that may be correct, and modern cars are designed to compensate for this, i.e. the big S-class in the test deformed more than the smart.

Both have different weight ratios, though, (around 2/1 I'd guess), and for the smart the force of the impact might equal more something around 70mph, while the Merc only has to cope with something like a 30mph force, simply due to it's weight.

Re Smart - I thought it was the four door and sports versions that were the loss makers - must admit that the dealers on the Island (since the sub delearship in Kk Michael was axed) have shown little inclination to sell them - a great pity as they are ideal for Island use, the seating position is extremely comfortable and they are recommended for those with back problems (there are several on Island driven with disabled stickers in windscreen).

Re Smart - I thought it was the four door and sports versions that were the loss makers - must admit that the dealers on the Island (since the sub delearship in Kk Michael was axed) have shown little inclination to sell them - a great pity as they are ideal for Island use, the seating position is extremely comfortable and they are recommended for those with back problems (there are several on Island driven with disabled stickers in windscreen).

I think the sports job has been axed.

Archived