Mt More Profitable Than Before

Slim

"MT's annual review also shows operating profits have risen by £3.4 million, to £15 million."

I was thinking today, in my house we have three mobile phones, one landline and one adsl connection. So despite being such a good customer, I pay the same rates as someone who only has a single landline. That sound fair? Be nice if they did a sky TV a like cheapy deal on extra mobiles in the same family eh? Or pooling bills to qualify for call discounts or something?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here Slim, three mobile phones a landline and an adsl connection.

Some sort of deal would be nice.

I can just see the reply from MT now though.

Sorry, but you have to realize that we are on a small Island with a small user database as opposed to the UK. So nO deals here I'm afraid.. blah blah...

What's this 3G that ans mentioned last night? I guess most of us have mobiles these days so do any of us on DSL really need a landline?

I wonder if it would be cheaper to switch to 3G and do away with the landline???

I was being sarcastic :)

I notice Slim fails to mention that MT just announced planned investment of 30 million over the next 3 years in providing a second Douglas exchange, improving the mobile network and improving the PSTN network in the ground. They've also invested about 10 million every year for the past 5 years in improving these things already. I'm not doing a 'Ra Ra MT' cry here, I'm just pointing out that people are quick to whinge about how much profit MT make every year, but they never mention that the majority of it is reinvested the next year in improvements to the networks.

I also believe that the idea of 'One Bill' for your household and appropriate discounts is also closer than you think.

Capital investment........another way of hiding profits thus having less tax to pay.

Yeah, I guess spending 7.5 million this year alone on just the new Douglas exchange is a good way to 'hide profits'. Spending a large amount of money ADSL equipping every exchange on the Island hid a chunk of profit too.

Sounds more like investment than hiding to me. Did you even read what I wrote?

If theres 80K people living on the Island and MT make £15million profit - thats a massive profit in anyones books.

The vast majority of profit is not generated by 80k people, it's generated by businesses. When you publically commit to spending over half that profit on reinvestment, it becomes a little less 'massive'.

Ans I assume you know how a balance sheet and P&L account works. CAPEX only effects the P&L by either depreciation or intrest charges for monies borrowed for the Capital Expenditure. Its not as though by carrying out Capital Expenditure that they end up with nothing. They increase the asset value of the Company.

I think £15 million is excessive for the size of the Islands population but will reserve this opinion until I know their annual turnover figure.

Same here too - 3 mobiles, 1 landline and an ADSL connection.

If some sort of package deal is on the way then it's fairly long overdue and welcome.

Archived