Mt More Profitable Than Before

Slim

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ans I assume you know how a balance sheet and P&L account works. CAPEX only effects the P&L by either depreciation or intrest charges for monies borrowed for the Capital Expenditure. Its not as though by carrying out Capital Expenditure that they end up with nothing. They increase the asset value of the Company.

Sure I do, but the suggestion is that 15 million quid just goes into the bank and sits there and that simply isn't true.

I think £15 million is excessive for the size of the Islands population but will reserve this opinion until I know their annual turnover figure.

The size of the population is largely irrelevant considering that the percentage of that taken out of the residential market is very small. It's strange that MT always receives such focus when there are other utility type companies making comparable profits and charging Island residents significantly more for their services than the UK counterparts. It's probably mostly down to the fact that you see telephone rates and broadband prices featured in your daily paper. But how many of you know how much a unit of electricity, gas, water, coal or oil costs over there? Do some checking around, you might be surprised.

Ans the same inquisition greeted Manx Gas when they put up their charges and at the same time announced massive profits through their parent Company. On second thoughts I agree size of population shouldnt come into it but turnover does matter and would be a fair judge if the profits were excessive. My view is a percentage return in excess of 25% would be excessive.

I think your idea of a comparrison of utility costs between here and the NW of England for example would be very intresting so youve set me some homework for the next few days.

Ans, the investments come off profit. So that 15 million is profit AFTER they've reinvested in that year. I know fully well they say they're going to spend 30 mil over the next three years, so presumably we'll only see 7.5 mil profit next year? Wait and see, but it's hardly relevant to this discussion.

I don't begrudge any company earning money, it's just I think MT takes the xxxx a bit. Any other company would offer discounts based on spend, the fact that I who spend nearly a ton a month before calls on MT products, you'd think I'd apply for some kind of discount, especially in light of such large profits.

I also wonder effect zero rating company tax will take on re-investment into infractrusture...

Any other company would offer discounts based on spend

Not true there are plenty of companies that don't, for example does the garage give you a discount for filling your car up more than once a week?

Do you get a discount from supermarkets for filling a trolly rather than half filling it?

However you get discounts on calls you make to family & friends, if bill is paid early another discount there..

I still think they're a tad pricey but is slowly comming down in cost.

Do you get a discount from supermarkets for filling a trolly  rather than half filling it?

Technicallyl you get those point things the more you spend that you can redeem against items,

Not true  there are plenty of companies that don't,  for example does the garage give you a discount for filling your car up more than once a week?

Do you get a discount from supermarkets for filling a trolly  rather than half filling it?

However  you get discounts on calls you make to family & friends,  if bill is paid early another discount there..

OK, so it should be 'many' rather than 'any'. As for your examples, supermerkets do offer discounts if you buy more, in the form of two for one, and three for two offers in addition to points. Garages also offer rewards based on spend. The key difference between both of those and MT is of course, you have a choice if you want to buy your fuel or groceries at another, possibly cheaper, place.

OK, so it should be 'many' rather than 'any'. As for your examples, supermerkets do offer discounts if you buy more, in the form of two for one, and three for two offers in addition to points. Garages also offer rewards based on spend. The key difference between both of those and MT is of course, you have a choice if you want to buy your fuel or groceries at another, possibly cheaper, place.

Two for one isn't a discount it's just a promotion similar you could say when MT offers cheaper calls say over xmas period ect....

also supermarkets offer cheap prices or 2 for 1 offers to sell end of stock items or items that are close to sell by date so to compare these things to telcom is not really a fair comparison after all a phone call can't go out of date :P

Garages giving points is just a way for you to use them of course their prices are way too expensive and price difference is not exactly hugely different. so are the points they give away really that good to start with? would they give them away if its costing them to lose profit? I seriously doubt it.

Archived