Quayside Renovation

mollag

What do y'all think of the now revealed road renovation at the Railway/quay area? I find the junction at the bottom of the hill a tad hairy, not sure whats coming from where. I suppose that i will get used to it.

I will miss the slip though, lorra chidhood time spent getting dirty down there.

And those railings opposite the Bridge?, guys that put them up were strangers to a spirit level, they are well pissed :blink:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that junction is the worst piece of traffic control design I've ever seen.

Agreed. The junction is just horrible.

Why did they bother keeping vehicle access on that part of the quay though. People seemed to cope well enough when it was closed.

A proper paved area complete with seating would be a great place to relax with a pint on a hot summers day

I guess it takes a bit off the traffic away from the dredded police station roundabout.

That would be a good idea. Problem is the private road created for Tesco via the stone bridge has diverted

all incoming traffic from the south down the south quay, across the new bridge, and onto the bottleneck known as the police station roundabout.

If that isnt bad eneough, and doubtless to rub salt in the wounds, traffic coming in from the south frequently has to wait for budding Francis Drake types to sail their dinghies out. This can involve traffic back ups past the White Hoe.

Must be the worst example of traffic management on the Island.

I guess it takes a bit off the traffic away from the dredded police station roundabout.

That would be a good idea. Problem is the private road created for Tesco via the stone bridge has diverted

all incoming traffic from the south down the south quay, across the new bridge, and onto the bottleneck known as the police station roundabout.

If that isnt bad eneough, and doubtless to rub salt in the wounds, traffic coming in from the south frequently has to wait for budding Francis Drake types to sail their dinghies out. This can involve traffic back ups past the White Hoe.

Must be the worst example of traffic management on the Island.

So what do you want, should they close the marina down just for you. never was a road bridge only a foot access swing bridge, if you dont like it stay down south and leave us old sea dogs alone

So what do you want, should they close the marina down just for you. never was a road bridge only a foot access swing bridge, if you dont like it stay down south and leave us old sea dogs alone

Im the same as anyone else. I want a half decent traffic management system.

With the best will in the world it has not made any sense to route traffic from the south down the south quay towards the bridge.

it has made even less sense to provide a private road for Tesco thus forcing even more of the traffic along South Quay.

By the way ..you dont really believe that masterpiece of bad design qualifies for the description of Marina ??

What do y'all think of the now revealed road renovation at the Railway/quay area?

Beat me to it - was thinking of posting that and took a few pics the other day - looks quite good, I think:

post-1086-1138658821_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1138658848_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1138658865_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1138658890_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1138658908_thumb.jpg

Now just imagine a warm summer evening, tables and chairs outside the pubs and restaurants there, people coming from, and going to, the new Leisure complex at Lord street - could be nice...

I find the junction at the bottom of the hill a tad hairy, not sure whats coming from where. I suppose that i will get used to it.

Nevermind that one - the mini roundabout on the other side (at ATS) is where most near-crashes occur (IMO) - lost count of how many times some muppet simply turned right from the bridge, without bothering to look properly if something is coming their way. And when you hit the brakes and pass'em in close proximity, momentarily thinking if you should swear, use sign language, hit the horn, or a combination of it, they usually look at you like shellshocked hamsters...

I agree that it would be lovely (at least visually) as a traffic free sitting out area, but how often would it be used that way (it's usually a bit parky in Douglas, eh?). I guess you could stick those gas lamposts around the place to warm it up

remember the 'town square' that appeared as part of the demolished Villiers and the construction of the current mess - not exactly practical, the 1930's sunken gardens at least offered some protection.

However the small area in front of House of Mannanan on Peel quayside is very popular on summer evenings but then we are on the warmer west side.

Presumeably Tesco's will have moved before long and the road can easily service blocks of flats and the bus depot.

It's another case of them nearly getting it right. About 18 months ago we saw the plans and voiced our concerns about the traffic flow. Good to see they took our concerns on board and ignored them.

The roundabouts near the police station are a nightmare at rush hour. The junction at Greens is a car crash or two waiting to happen as is the one at ATS.

Quayside Renovation - any thoughts?

The Douglas Hotel is still there and so is the Clarendon. They have been there a long time and it is not beyond straightforward construction skills to be able to rejuvenate.

post-353-1138711711_thumb.jpgpost-353-1138712045_thumb.jpg

Far easier to get the demolition boys in, obliterate our built environment and chuck up a modular piece of rubbish. Like the Island is so, so good at doing.

Remember this building? It was there less than a decade ago.

post-353-1138712066_thumb.jpg

Could easily still be there really, couldn't it. How grand our Promenade would look with a renovated Villiers on Loch Promenade.

£££ is all that counts and the chap who sold the Villiers surely needed more.

Archived