Quayside Renovation

mollag

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I havn't heard anything about them knocking the Douglas down?

I've not been down to the quay in a while, I didn't realised they'd done all that work! Looks really nice, and definately more appealing to sitting out in the summer. I suppose for some it's hard to imagine what that would be like down here in the depths of the cold, harsh winter but every year people sit outside the Bridge with a pint in their hands. Stick a few more chairs on that pavement and it'll be perfect.

Have to disagree with you Cheese, the horse trams are not cruel. The animals are limited in the number of traverses of the prom they do and are well looked after all year round.

For a couple of years, I used to live across the road from the nursery fields on Summerhill and watched the foals being born. We would go and talk to the staff who would recite the history of the mother and father of the foal with real pride, giving their view of the foal that had just been born. That does not hint at cruelty, rather that they knew their animals and cared for them.

They are big, strong animals (bred to be so as draught horses) that need to use their musculature and it is only breaking the initial inertia that is heavy-going. The rest is easy as the momentum takes over. The horse trams are wonderful pieces of engineering and there were once competitions of men drawing the trams along the prom. Not as valiant as you would think, as once they moved they would glide!

I think it would be a great idea to have the trams going down onto the quay, a great draw (forgive the pun) and something quite unique. The only difficulty would be negotiating the corner from the end of the prom back on yourself to the quay.

But if it kept the horse trams going, then I would be in favour of it!

I'd like to see the horse trams moved off the middle of the road and onto the side, as it's an accident waiting to happen with them right in the middle of a busy road.

Have to agree it's not cruel though, they work for their living, just like us. they only do one trip a day don't they?

• 1 month later...

Let there be light!

post-1086-1141983333_thumb.jpg post-1086-1141983359_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1141983390_thumb.jpg post-1086-1141983420_thumb.jpg

Noticed them for the first time yesterday - think they look really good, and it somehow explains why the railings looked a bit off-level at first...

And the rest is coming along as well:

Before / After:

post-1086-1141983918_thumb.jpg

Still think the whole north-quay re-development is gonna be good - just wait until the summer...

horse trams along the quay would bring more people round to the steam trains and maybe some punters for the Railway Hotel..there is never anyone in there...I keep looking at MR webcam there and its always just about empty..I can see the brewery closing it down....

Talking of which, and perhaps this should be a new topic, has anyone heard that the George and the Union in Castletown are going to be closed/sold? Overheard conversation in the bank in Castletown today.

Archived