Quayside Renovation

mollag

who has right of way when the traffic meets in the middle of north quay and why isn't it made clear. the junction at bottom of railway hill is also terribly confusing and has no indication as to how its supposed to be used

Can't comment on the North Quay thing because I've never done it.

As for the junction on the bottom of Railway Hill - isn't it just a give way? In this situation if I'm coming down Railway Hill I tend to give way to oncoming traffic. If I'm coming from South Quay I don't give way as I'm already on that road. It usually seems to work.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
who has right of way when the traffic meets in the middle of north quay and why isn't it made clear. the junction at bottom of railway hill is also terribly confusing and has no indication as to how its supposed to be used

It's definitely give way at the bottom of Railway Hill and I think (because I have only gone that way a couple of times), traffic coming from Tesco's to go up to Lord Street has right of way. The real problem with Railway Hill is that your view of traffic coming from Tesco's is obscured if you are in the left lane and, of course, the entry into the Railway Station feeds into the junction as well.

Its just Crazy, when you are in the left lane wanting to go straight on towards ATS your so busy looking for cars coming from Tesco's that when you pull off you go up the ass of the car stopped at the sleeping policeman waiting for the cars infront of them.

I cant believe people still havnt mentioned whats gona happen if the bridge breaks down at TT week or at at rush hour.its mental,who done the plan and are they still in a job?

I cant believe people still havnt mentioned whats gona happen if the bridge breaks down at TT week or at at rush hour.its mental,who done the plan and are they still in a job?

Never really thought of that. I suppose a breakdown is inevitable at some point. No doubt the Government have absolutely no contingency plan whatsoever

Never really thought of that. I suppose a breakdown is inevitable at some point. No doubt the Government have absolutely no contingency plan whatsoever

Wouldn't you just go over the EB Christian bridge and round the Tesco roundabout?

Wouldn't you just go over the EB Christian bridge and round the Tesco roundabout?

Exactly. As usual, Manx mountains are formed from molehills.

Get a grip FFS.

The traffic system is quite easy to understand to anyone with the remotest bit of nouse about driving.

wasn't there supposed to be a new bridge put over the river at the end of Lake Road to take Tesco traffic etc out onto the C'town end of Leigh Terrace??

I understand there was a problem with the strip of land on the old Castletown road side of the river. I'm sure the DHPP could have found some way of getting the land if they really wanted, but Mr Hannay had his own usual cockeyed ideas.

Saw a classic tonight on Railway Hill. Someone coming from the Nunnery side obviously wanted to turn onto North Quay just by the Railway and so decided the best plan would be to almost double back on herself and drive across the cobbled island to turn sharp right!

Can't remember, is there a sign to show how the traffic should flow from the south?

Can't remember, is there a sign to show how the traffic should flow from the south?

There is indeed..

post-1086-1142334601_thumb.jpg post-1086-1142334638_thumb.jpg

..but not that it would make a difference - loads of people spare themselves the lap of honour past the railway and cut right there - piece of unlucky planing...

From what I remember there was a semi-electronic sign prior to the ATS roundabout whihc showed the route into 'central' Douglas.

Basically 99% of the time it was along South Quay and across the lift bridge. However, when the bridge was in action it changed and directed traffic across the bridge onto North Quay.

Don't know about now tho, can't recall.

There is a similar one by Bath Place (SPCo building) prior to the Police station roundabout, with regard to Southbound traffic.

QUOTE(manxchatterbox @ Mar 12 2006, 03:57 PM)

wasn't there supposed to be a new bridge put over the river at the end of Lake Road to take Tesco traffic etc out onto the C'town end of Leigh Terrace??

Quote(skig)

I understand there was a problem with the strip of land on the old Castletown road side of the river. I'm sure the DHPP could have found some way of getting the land if they really wanted, but Mr Hannay had his own usual cockeyed ideas.

..so when Dan puts in for planning permission to build on the old works site opposite Tesco shouldn't it then be a condition that the new bridge is built first?

..also, isn't there supposed to be a riverside walk up to Lake Road from the existing bridge (maybe Amadeus knows about this from his perspective/vantage point)..

From what I remember there was a semi-electronic sign prior to the ATS roundabout whihc showed the route into 'central' Douglas.

Basically 99% of the time it was along South Quay and across the lift bridge. However, when the bridge was in action it changed and directed traffic across the bridge onto North Quay.

Don't know about now tho, can't recall.

It's still there, but I think it's only lit when the bridge is open - not that anyone would notice, going by the tailbacks...

post-1086-1142413887_thumb.jpg

Its just Crazy, when you are in the left lane wanting to go straight on towards ATS your so busy looking for cars coming from Tesco's that when you pull off you go up the ass of the car stopped at the sleeping policeman waiting for the cars infront of them.

:unsure:

post-1086-1142414106_thumb.jpg

I agree, though - a breakdown of the bridge could be a major problem, with cars going all over the place then - just out of interest: Does anyone know when the bridge broke down last, or if it ever has?

• 1 month later...

Frances mentioned it on Jan 31 2006, 01:27 AM - the "Town Square" - we walked through it today on the way back to the car with our shopping and its like a used tampon - a bloody mess. From recollection the Corpy don't yet own it and its still the responsibility of the developer AXA...

and the lane that runs from Regent Street through to Victoria Street looks like a rubbish tip....

and who own the overgrown site at the end of Regent Street which has a hoarding round it...that's even worse...

Doesn't the Corpy have the ability to serve "improvement notices" on property owners..requiring them to take action??? Does anyone know why nothing is being done about these three grot spots???

"wasn't there supposed to be a new bridge put over the river at the end of Lake Road to take Tesco traffic etc out onto the C'town end of Leigh Terrace??"

It certainly looks set up for it, and deffo needs one putting in!!

Archived