Google Response To China Complaint

cheesemonster2005

It is surprising how countries that you believe are behind in widely available technology are able, when it comes their way, to utilise/manipulate it beyond the sophistication of those countries that have "grown up" with it.

I'm not saying that's good or bad (although I suspect the latter) but merely an observation!

Perhaps it's because they have the benefit of others' experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, it seems the whole "Google China" thing has angered the usually so enthusiastic Larry and Sergey fan club:

NoLuv4Google

Google Broke Our Hearts

Gaaagle.com

iRepress - Flash Animation

Scroogle - the Google and Yahoo scraper

Google-Watch

What exactly did people expect from a company that now has to make a profit to keep the shareholders happy?

Fundamentally I think the Great Fire Wall of China is WRONG, totally wrong, but I thought this opinion piece by Bill Thompson was a measured response to Google's decision to site servers in China.

Why Google in China makes sense

However when you see the difference in the search results its sad to think how much information is being restricted.

_blog_img_060131-china.gif

These images are the search results for Tiananmen on Google US and Google China directly compared.

Check out A Picture Says 1000 Words About Google's Censorship In China for more information.

Interestingly, when I searched google.cn for Tiananmen images it came up with the tank pictures on page 7.

As with Wayfarer I found a picture of a tank while searching on google.cn; when I did it there were two images on page 5. Both were from a chinese blog site.

When I clicked the link to see the original page, surprise surprise the sites had been taken down.

It will be interesting to search again in a day or so; I'm pretty certain google with have updated its cache and the tanks pictures will disappear as has already happened to the sites that originally hosted them ... more worryingly the person who was brave enough to post them may well also disapear.

This type of offence is covered by reeducation through labour; which is entirely controlled by the police. There is no trial, and appeal is almost impossible, the person responsible is simply taken away for up to 2 years by the police ... no fuss, no courts, just gone.

Archived