Employment Laws

britishbird

The employment laws on the Isle of Man are the same as in England yet no one seems to enforce them and employers on here seem to be exploiting their staff. For example my fiancee was transferring fireworks in 7.5 tonne lorry without any caution stickers on lorry (which he did request) which is not only illegal but also highly dangerous to himself but to others travelling along the road, the company for which he works do not seem to care one bit!!!! There are several other factors with this company to but think there are far too many to mention, what does anyone think about employment laws and also health and safety?

The employment laws on the Isle of Man are the same as in England yet no one seems to enforce them and employers on here seem to be exploiting their staff. For example my fiancee was transferring fireworks in 7.5 tonne lorry without any caution stickers on lorry (which he did request) which is not only illegal but also highly dangerous to himself but to others travelling along the road, the company for which he works do not seem to care one bit!!!! There are several other factors with this company to but think there are far too many to mention, what does anyone think about employment laws and also health and safety?

DoLGE - Environmental protection section 685894

H and Safety at Work - 685952

Should get a result.

Agree with the above. You can't expect them to enforce what they don't know about. I'm sure your fiance would be equally as pissed off if he was stopped for roadside checks twice a day, every day.

I remember that a certain Spring Valley based transport company with scruffy navy blue or white wagons and crummy slogans on the side, (not Island Express, Transmann, Edmundsons, Manx Independent or ICD), almost blew up half of Douglas a few years ago when one of their lorries was in the Douglas Gas Estate at South Quay. (Well reported in the local press) Apparently they had 1000 litres of paraffin for an Agricultural merchant and it was leaking onto the lorry exhaust and BOOM!!!! the mushroom cloud could be seen from all over Douglas. I beleive that Douglas Gas' LPG plant was still operating at the time so the potential for a major disaster was a distinct possibility,

As in the case described above, the vehicle carried no Hazchem markers (necessary for carrying dangerous goods) and when the fire brigade arrived they didn't know if they were dealing with candles or napalm. I personally asked the Police traffic department would the transport company be proscecuted due to the vehicle not carrying the approriate markers and was told "we can't prove that it was driven on the public highway therefore we can't prosecute" how did they think it got to South Quay from Spring Valley - dropped in on a parachute maybe?

Furthermore the cargo had been shipped in on the Steam Packet and said company had not advised them as they are required to do by law (IMDG Code) of the fact that their vehicle was carrying dangerous goods. Obviously a leak at that time could have put the vessel and its passengers and crew in mortal danger.

Was anything done about it? not to my knowledge.

People should not be expected to put their own lives at risk nor those of the general public, if the company show such scant regard for public health and regulations they don't deserve to be in business.

First of all employnent law on this rock is not the same as in the other island. Secondly your issue is covered by health and safety law. Which is also different to the other islands.

The most striking difference being the lack of it.

There are only two laws currently in operation. The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, a wholly inadequate provision given the world we now live in, but at least better than nothing. The other is the managment of health and safety at work act of 2003(i think). This is an attempt with one peice of legislation to bridge the huge gap in laws between us here on little rock and the mountain of laws on the other rock, mostly driven by there membership and Acquiescence to the dreaded eu. The new law brings in to play for the first time risk assessment. The employer who wanted the fireworks bringing here should have informed the steamy as it will be covered by the transportation of dangerous goods act. As well as maritime law for the storage of explosives on board ship. If the above mentioned things where not not done and thje relevent authorities not made aware of the movement of these explosives then the presence of stickers was the least of his worries. As stickers would not stop it from going bang if it was disposed to do so.

Finally, On the point about H&S differences between here and there, we probably don't have enough and they certainly have too much. the lesson from this situation in any further legislation that may be added to the H&S arsenal, do be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

Archived