Vat Goes Up

FCMR

Well they should be VAT registered then. If they were they could claim the VAT back on their purchases. The only people this will hit are the end consumers to whom the VAT burden is eventually passed onto ie homeowners undertaking home improvements.

Oh and crooked builders undertaking a bit of cash in hand work

According to an item I heard on RTE1 - well the tax expert interviewed was of the opinion that, in general, the reduced rate of VAT was inflating the (pre VAT) cost of building work.

The general argument (and I think I agree with it) is that the price of any job will increase so as to offset any advantage offered by tax breaks, grants, allowances etc

The price of a job is what people will be prepared to pay. If builders find that they aren't getting enough work then they'll have to start competing on price.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last I heard on MR (evening Mandate) was that the reduced rate ended at the end of January (we know that) but that the EU were waiting for Poland to agree to it continuing until 2010. The EU was putting pressue on Poland to agree. So, technically, the rate is back up to 17.5%, but the strong expectation is that the reduced rate will be reintroduced.

A case of watch this space still, unless a later announcement has been made!

The Isle of man receives 1% of all the VAT collected in the UK every year which if i am right ends up being some £650 million pounds a year.

This is the only thing that keeps the isle of man going.

Sure the island will get a bit more money from the raise in the VAT but then also if the rate raises it also means people will put of spending so its a catch 22 situation.

Just wait for the zero rate of tax, then you will all be moaning about stealth taxes.

They are not f*****g Manx, they are cheap Polish labour taking the bread out of other peoples mouths

It's called competition, see also: tourism, mining and probably other areas.

Poland had rejected a compromise deal agreed by the other 24 EU member states on which labour-intensive services should benefit from VAT breaks.

Warsaw wanted the construction of new houses to be included on the list, which currently features such services as home renovations, haircutting, home-care and small repairs for items such as bicycles and shoes.

So not only were you wrong, but you also unfairly maligned the noble Poles, who wanted to extend the exemption to the construction of new homes. Something I would have thought you would approve of.

Anyway you complain about all the Poles over here, but remember that cuts both ways. They got Cheesemonster 2005 - so it looks like the Island won in the deal.

And that puts 12.5% on the price of your new windows, or are you going to pay cash to some dodgy git.

Falls off my chair laughing :lol:

Are you now sitting comfortably again?

(Hint: I, and I suspect a whole lot of other people, knew this was happening. Surprised as someone who shouts loud about his profession didn't know it either. I guess only important people knew)

Archived